Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bubbles' Journey-Prologues 1 & 2

PROLOGUE ONE

The seals slumped along the shoreline of the icy Arctic. They were having a private meeting, which no other seal could hear.

“But what will happen to the remaining seals?” asked one named Dapplestar.

The other seal shook his head sadly. “We have to send them on a journey to the Mainland.”

The Mainland was the place where seals usually never went. Seals that did happen to go there never were heard of again.

Dapplestar shifted uneasily. “No, Sammy! Not the cubs!”

“We must.” Sammy solemnly stared at Dapplestar.

Dapplestar fell silent. She knew she couldn’t argue with Sammy. “Okay. We shall begin in one moon.”

And then the Dapplestar parted away and went back to the den while Sammy sat there, staring at the sun across the ocean as it slowly went down. He sighed and waddled his way back to camp where other seals were sound asleep.

That night Dapplestar could not sleep. She had a dream about a polar bear crashing into the den and stealing the newborn cubs. Dapplestar woke up abruptly and found herself next to sleeping Sammy. She calmed herself down and she soon was deep in sleep once again.

PROLOGUE TWO

“That oil spill is going to cost us thousands,” exclaimed Dr. Moore. His employee, Henry, looked puzzled.

“Why, sir?”

Dr. Moore sighed sadly. “The oil spill cleaners bring in more and more animals every day that need to be nursed back to health, you see, and that cost us even more money then we’re used to spending,”

“I see what you mean sir, but why is that such a big problem? Can’t we have the customers pay more for admission and refreshments?”

Dr. Moore shook his head. “No, I’m afraid not.”

Henry gasped. “But the locals love the aquarium! They could donate money.”

“Not enough people love the aquarium enough to donate. Henry, I’m afraid we will have to shut down the aquarium.”

“Oh, what will happen to the animals?”

“That is my biggest fear. I’m not sure what we’ll do,” Dr. Moore scribbled something down on his notepad. “Henry, you are one my most prized employees, and you take pride in that, but I will have to fire you. I really am so sorry.”

“I wish there is something I can do, sir.” Henry said.

“Unless you have a money tree in your backyard, there really is nothing you can do.” Dr. Moore said.

“I completely understand, sir. I should get going now.” Henry grabbed his coat and slipped it on.

“Henry,” Dr. Moore called.

“Yes sir?” Henry asked, about to turn the doorknob.

Dr. Moore walked up to him and handed him his notepad. “This is everything that has happened since the grand opening of the aquarium. Use it well, my boy,” Dr. Moore looked at him sternly. “And don’t you go around telling everyone about our little conversation. I don’t want people to freak out about the aquarium closing,” Dr. Moore added. “That’s my job.”

Henry chuckled. “I won’t sir,” Henry collected up his hat and notepad. “Have a nice day.”

Dr. Moore stared into space for a moment. “Perhaps you can help me decide what we shall do with the animals,”

“That would be an honor!” Henry said and he leaped from the step and walked home.

No comments: